Help us plan for a bright future in the Rangitīkei District.

Code Compliance Certificate

What is a Code Compliance Certificate?

A code compliance certificate is a formal statement issued by us. The receipt of which means we are satisfied on reasonable grounds that the work complies with the approved building consent.

How to apply

An owner must apply for a code compliance certificate after all consented building work is completed. This is also an Application Guide available.

Before your final inspection is booked, we require the application for the code compliance certificate to be submitted along with any additional supporting documentation such as:

• records of work provided by licensed building practitioners (where restricted building work applies)
• electrical or gas certificates
• producer statements
• any certificates relating to the installation, testing and maintenance of specified systems
• any other documentation requested at the time the building consent was issued or during the construction process.

Once received, the application and supporting documentation will be assessed by a building control officer for completeness. If any of the required documentation is missing, we will request further information and the application will be placed on hold.

If deemed complete, you will be notified that a final inspection can be booked. Bookings can be made through the by phoning our customer services team on 0800422522

How long does it take?

The Council has 20 working days to decide whether to issue the Code Compliance Certificate.
Having received an application for a CCC and it is found that not all the required information has been submitted with the application the 20 day processing clock will be suspended. A letter will be sent to the applicant requesting the outstanding information. Once this information has been received the clock is re-started and the processing of the application will continue. Buildings that require a compliance schedule will also have this issued with the CCC.

The Council will issue the Code Compliance Certificate if it is satisfied:
• The building work complies with the granted Building Consent . We must be satisfied on reasonable grounds, under section 94 of the Building Act 2004, that the building work will comply with the approved building consent.
• Where a Compliance Schedule and Compliance Schedule Statement is required, the Specified System(s) in the building are capable of performing to the performance standards set out in the Building Consent
• The final inspection is completed and passed
• Any further costs incurred, have been paid in full.

NOTE: Any building work taken out since the enactment of “The Building Act 2004" will require the owner to apply for the Code Compliance Certificate within 2 years of the Building Consent being issued or prior to the expiry date of the approved extension of time.

What is an Electrical Certificate?

An Electrical Certificate confirms work was undertaken by a registered Electrician and meets the electrical compliance requirements.

What is a Producer Statement?

Producer Statements are written statements confirming the plans and specifications or completed works comply with the technical requirements to some or all of the clauses of the Building Code. A Producer Statement is usually issued by a recognised specialist relevant to building work.

The Council will accept Producer Statements from a Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng). If the author of the Producer Statement for design is not a CPEng, a peer review of the design from a CPEng engineer is required.

If the author of a Producer Statement for design or construction is not a CPEng or a peer reviewer is not CPEng, the producer statement will not be accepted.
Importance level 2 and up building work - ensure that Producer Statements are signed and dated by the author and are not more than 90 days old.
Importance level 1 building work - ensure that Producer Statements are signed and dated by the author and are not more than 365 days old.

Complaints and appeal process

If you're unhappy with any aspect of our service you can lodge a complaint. You can also appeal any decision we have made to have it reviewed.
You can make a complaint in person, however you must also provide it in writing. Complaints not made in writing or made anonymously will not be actioned.
Complaints should be addressed to:

Rangitikei District Council
Private Bag 1102
Marton 4741

You'll need to provide us the following information:
• the date the incident occurred
• the nature of your complaint (guidance information, vetting, lodgement, inspection, notice to fix, code compliance certificate or compliance schedule)
• copies of any supporting information (if applicable) and
• the nature of your relationship with us (customer, regulator, or stakeholder).
We'll respond within three working days of receiving your complaint at which time you may be asked whether you wish to be heard in relation to the compliant or to provide further information.
All complaints will be actioned within 10 working days of receipt of complaint, unless a request for further information is made.

If you are still unhappy or choose to use an alternative route to settle a matter of doubt or dispute, you may apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) for a Determination.
More information

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - Determinations Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - Application for determination (PDF, 435KB)