Help us plan for a bright future in the Rangitīkei District.

You have been issued a building consent - now what?

Once your application has been assessed and we are satisfied on reasonable grounds, under section 49 of the Building Act 2004, that your proposal complies with the Building Code, the application will be granted.

This means the Building Consent Authority is satisfied on reasonable grounds that the provisions of the building code would be met if the building work were properly completed in accordance with the plans and specifications that accompanied the application.

Once the Building Consent is granted and no further costs owing, the Building Consent will be issued and sent directly to the Property Owner or Authorised Agent.

A building consent will lapse if work has not commenced within 12 months of the issue date, and Council is obliged to make a decision on issuing a Code Compliance Certificate within 24 months of the issue date. The Council will send a reminder letter to you prior to the end of the 12 and 24 month period.

If you are unable to start or complete the building work by these periods, you can apply in writing for an extension of time.

The Building Consent will contain:
  1. Building Consent Certificate, which outlines what conditions are to be met and what information is to be supplied when applying for a Code Compliance Certificate
  2. An Owners Site Inspection form, which will identify what stages inspections are required
  3. A Code Compliance application form, and
  4. The approved plans and specifications for building work

NOTE: Other documents such as a Addenda, Certificate of Public Use and/or a Section Certificate(s) may be attached to the Building Consent.

Once the Building Consent is granted and you wish to make an amendment(s), you will need to complete the Building Consent/PIM Application Form. This application is processed the same as a normal Building Consent.

Other reviews of your application

Fire and Emergency New Zealand: There is a requirement (by law) for some applications to be sent to Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) for review. This review provides feedback on the compliance of the proposed design and the ability for people to escape fire safely. There will be additional fees to pay if your application needs to be reviewed by FENZ.

Development Engineer: Your application will be checked by our development engineer for hazards on the site, consent notices, resource consent conditions, soil conditions, geotechnical and stormwater reports, stormwater control design, public services and other site related issues.

Resource Consents Planner: A planner will check whether your application complies with the District Plan, whether you need to apply for a resource consent or that you are complying with the conditions of an existing resource consent.

If you're advised that you need to apply for a resource consent or you have a related resource consent that is not granted yet, a section 37 certificate will be attached to your building consent preventing you from starting work until a resource consent is obtained.

Suspending the Building Consent Application

Further information may be required. If this is the case, a letter will be sent to the Property Owner and/or Agent identifying what information is required. The Building Consent application will be suspended until information is received.

Suspension of the Building Consent application will stop the 20 working day clock. The clock will recommence once all relevant information is received by Council.


A deposit is required when the Building Consent application is received by Council. The full cost of the Building Consent is charged on the actual time taken for processing and the inspection and levies required.

Once the Building Consent is granted, an itemised invoice will be provided.

For Building Consent Fees please refer to the Building Consent Current Fees and Charges sheet - they can also be found within the Schedule of Fees and Charges. Please note that Rangitikei District Council does not have a Development Contribution Fee.

What happens if you wish to make changes to the Issued Building Consent?

Changes can only be made prior to the issuing of the Code Compliance Certificate. Once the Code Compliance Certificate is issued, no variation or an amendment to the Building Consent can occur.

All proposed changes should be discussed with Council. There are two options available, an Amendment to the Building Consent or a Minor Variation.

Amendment to the Building Consent

An Amendment to the Building Consent is required when the changes affect the footprint of the building, location of internal load bearing supports or fire safety aspects.

To apply for an amendment, the Amendment to the Building Consent application form will need to be completed. The application will be vetted and processed the same as a normal Building Consent application.

Minor Variation

A Minor Variation is when a minor modification, addition or variation to a Building Consent does not deviate significantly from the plans and specifications.

Listed below are some examples:

  • Substituting comparable products i.e. (Substituting one internal lining for a similar internal lining)
  • Minor wall bracing changes
  • A minor construction change i.e. (changing the framing method used around a window)
  • Changing a rooms layout

If the work meets the requirements of Minor Variations, the Council will note on the issued Building Consent the agreed changes. No formal application is required.

Complaints and appeal process

If you're unhappy with any aspect of our service you can lodge a complaint. You can also appeal any decision we have made to have it reviewed.

You can make a complaint in person, however you must also provide it in writing. Complaints not made in writing or made anonymously will not be actioned.

Complaints should be addressed to: Rangitikei District Council Private Bag 1102 Marton 4741

You'll need to provide us the following information:

  • the date the incident occurred
  • the nature of your complaint (guidance information, vetting, lodgement, inspection, notice to fix, code compliance certificate or compliance schedule)
  • copies of any supporting information (if applicable) and
  • the nature of your relationship with us (customer, regulator, or stakeholder).

We'll respond within three working days of receiving your complaint at which time you may be asked whether you wish to be heard in relation to the compliant or to provide further information.

All complaints will be actioned within 10 working days of receipt of complaint, unless a request for further information is made.


If you are still unhappy or choose to use an alternative route to settle a matter of doubt or dispute, you may apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) for a Determination.

More information Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - Determinations Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - Application for determination (PDF, 435KB)

Code Compliance Certificate

A code compliance certificate is a formal statement issued by us. The receipt of which means we are satisfied on reasonable grounds that the work complies with the approved building consent.

How to apply

An owner must apply for a code compliance certificate after all consented building work is completed.

Before your final inspection is booked, we require the application for the code compliance certificate to be submitted along with any additional supporting documentation such as:

  • records of work provided by licensed building practitioners (where restricted building work applies)
  • electrical or gas certificates
  • producer statements
  • any certificates relating to the installation, testing and maintenance of specified systems
  • any other documentation requested at the time the building consent was issued or during the construction process.

Code compliance certificate application

Once received, the application and supporting documentation will be assessed by a building control officer for completeness. If any of the required documentation is missing, we will request further information and the application will be placed on hold.

If deemed complete, you will be notified that a final inspection can be booked. Bookings can be made through the by phoning our customer services team on 0800422522

How long does it take?

The Council has 20 working days to decide whether to issue the Code Compliance Certificate.

Having received an application for a CCC and it is found that not all the required information has been submitted with the application the 20-day processing clock will be suspended. A letter will be sent to the applicant requesting the outstanding information. Once this information has been received the clock is re-started and the processing of the application will continue. Buildings that require a compliance schedule will also have this issued with the CCC.

The Council will issue the Code Compliance Certificate if it is satisfied:

The building work complies with the granted Building Consent . We must be satisfied on reasonable grounds, under section 94 of the Building Act 2004, that the building work will comply with the approved building consent.

Where a Compliance Schedule and Compliance Schedule Statement is required, the Specified System(s) in the building are capable of performing to the performance standards set out in the Building Consent

  1. The final inspection is completed and passed
  2. Any further costs incurred, have been paid in full.

NOTE: Any building work taken out since the enactment of “The Building Act 2004" will require the owner to apply for the Code Compliance Certificate within 2 years of the Building Consent being issued or prior to the expiry date of the approved extension of time.

What is an Electrical Certificate?

An Electrical Certificate confirms work was undertaken by a registered Electrician and meets the electrical compliance requirements.

What is a Producer Statement?

Producer Statements are written statements confirming the plans and specifications or completed works comply with the technical requirements to some or all of the clauses of the Building Code. A Producer Statement is usually issued by a recognised specialist relevant to building work.

The Council will accept Producer Statements from a Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng). If the author of the Producer Statement for design is not a CPEng, a peer review of the design from a CPEng engineer is required.

If the author of a Producer Statement for design or construction is not a CPEng or a peer reviewer is not CPEng, the producer statement will not be accepted.

Importance level 2 and up building work - ensure that Producer Statements are signed and dated by the author and are not more than 90 days old.

Importance level 1 building work - ensure that Producer Statements are signed and dated by the author and are not more than 365 days old.