Skip to main content

Construction Phase

It would be advantageous for your new business to keep good relations with your neighbors during your construction phase.

Things to be aware of may include:

  • Noise from construction and machinery
  • Odours, chemical or natural
  • Dust
  • Unsightly outdoor storage
  • Parking
  • Discharge into the storm water network i.e. dirty or contaminated run-off

Your Business Support Manager can discuss with you what you may need to consider during your construction:

A vehicle crossing application:

  • A temporary vehicle crossing is often needed during construction to provide safe and legal access to your property.
  • A temporary vehicle crossing shall be kept tidy at all times and it may be in a temporary location

It is Council’s responsibility to decide what type of crossing is suitable and where it will be located. It must also be built to Council standards and by Council approved contractors.

Traffic Management Plan

A traffic management plan is required if any road or foot path is obstructed or a ladder, scaffolding, crane, cherry picker or the like is used. This ensures site safety and minimizes disruption. If you are building within the central business district you may be able to reserve parking for construction vehicles. Parking reservations can be made with our Roading Operations Manager.

Hoardings and Storage

Appropriate plans for hoardings and storage will be needed to ensure footpaths near the construction site are tidy and safe.

Noise Control

Your business or the construction phase of your business may exceed what is considered reasonable noise. If you think that any time noise generated by your activities will possibly affect others, come and talk to council before you get underway. For technical assistance you may need to contact an acoustics specialist. Detailed information pertaining to acceptable noise can be found in the Rangitikei District Rules B1.7 Noise on the Council website.

Dust and Odour

Depending on the zone your construction and business is in, you may have regulations on the creation and management of air quality and pollution. A resource consent may need to be obtained if your site creates odours, dust, mist or smoke. Talk to your case manager before getting underway.

Health and Safety

The Health and Safety at Work Act 2016 has meant that as an employer of a contractor or sub-contractor you are responsible for their Health and Safety. Although the individuals or businesses that you contract will/should have their own health and safety plans it is up to you to ensure they abide by them and stay safe while under your care. For further information refer to the Introduction to the Health and Safety at Work Act

The Work Safe NZ website should hold all the information and contact details you may need to get a clear understanding of your responsibilities.