Skip to main content

Council Sign-Off - Getting Approved

You’re done! The building work is completed, utilities are connected, storm water systems are in place - now it’s time to arrange for Council sign-off and ensure the necessary permits and approvals are in place to get your business trading.

Your Business Support Manager will be able to help you identify the necessary permits and approvals you will need.

There are several licenses that Council administer that you may need before you can begin to operate. These include:

Trade Waste Consents

Council controls what is discharged into the sewers. This is to protect the public, environment and the sewerage system.

Types of businesses that usually require a trade waste consent are

  • Bakeries and Takeaways
  • Service stations and Mechanical workshops
  • Food manufacturing/processing businesses

This list is not all inclusive. For a help in assessing if you need a trade waste consent please talk to our Business Support Manager. You will find comprehensive information regarding Trade Waste in the Rangitikei District Council Water Related Services Bylaw Part 4 Trade Waste

Alcohol Licenses

Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act, any premise used for any of the following activities needs to first obtain the appropriate alcohol license:

  • Serving alcoholic drinks and providing corkage or glasses. This includes hotels, taverns, nightclubs, restaurants or BYO operations.
  • Selling alcohol for consumption off the premises. This includes bottle stores, supermarkets and those using the internet to sell alcohol.

The different types of alcohol license allow you to sell for different purposes.

  • On license – allows liquor to be sold and supplied for consumption on the premise. No alcohol can be removed from site.
  • Off License – allows liquor to be sold and supplied for consumption off the premise. No alcohol can be consumed on site.
  • Club License – id specifically for chartered clubs, sports clubs and other clubs.

Where alcohol is consumed on site, food must always be available. Therefore, those serving food will also need a food premises registration. An alcohol license cannot be granted until all building work is complete and a code of compliance certificate issued. An alcohol license application must be accompanied by a certificate from the Council confirming that the proposed use of the premises meets the requirements of the Resource Management Act and the Building Code.

Food Premises Registration

An annual registration needs to be made by any premises used to manufacture, prepare, package or store food for sale. Exemptions from registration may be awarded on presentation of an approved Food Safety Programme. Examples of types of businesses that should register include cafes, takeaway shops, licensed restaurants, bakeries, butcheries, dairies, grocers, supermarkets and service stations.

The Rangitikei District Council Food Business Grading Bylaw 2014 ensures that all food businesses comply with minimum standards under regulations covering the sale of food to the public. This involves a grading system that allows the community to make informed decisions in relation to food businesses. A grade is awarded following an inspection by an Authorised Officer, at least once annually. The current grade must then be displayed at the public entrance of the establishment.

The Food Act 2014 takes a new approach to managing food safety. Everyone working in the food industry has a responsibility to make sure that the food that is sold is safe and suitable to eat. There are two possibilities in relation to the Food Act’s food safety measures.

  • food control plans (FCPs) – written plans for managing food safety on a day-to-day basis. These are used by higher risk businesses
  • national programmes – a set of food safety rules for medium and low risk businesses. If you're under a national programme, you don't need a written plan (or develop written procedures), but must register, meet food safety standards, keep some records, and get checked.

Find out more about the Act and what it means for you at Ministry for Primary Industries

Health Act Registration

In accordance with the Health Act, occupiers of premises used for hairdressing, camping grounds, funeral parlours and offensive trades must get a certificate of registration from the Council before they start trading.


All premises used for hairdressing both commercial business and from their own home, must first be inspected and issued with a certificate of registration under the Health (Hairdressers) Regulation 1980.

Amusements Devices

A certificate of registration or permit may be needed for a business or hobby group that build and/or operate, for riding on, a scale model locomotive or scale model traction engine.

Funeral Parlour

Funeral Parlours require a Health License and registration prior to starting business.

Offensive Trades

Offensive trades need to register with Council under the Health Act. Offensive trades include but are not limited to blood or offal treating, bone boiling or crushing, dag crushing, fish cleaning and curing, flax pulping, flock manufacturing or teasing of textile materials for any purpose, refuse collection and disposal, tanning, wood pulping and wool scouring. For a comprehensive list read the Health Act 1956, Section 3.

Mobile Shops and Stalls

Mobile shops and stalls must be registered with the Council and those selling food must comply with the requirements set out in the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974, and obtain a Mobile Shop License. An agreement has been reached between Horowhenua District Council, Palmerston North City Council, Manawatu District Council, Rangitikei District Council, Ruapehu District Council, Tararua District Council and Wanganui District Council that will allow mobile food premises to trade across Council boundaries in the Manawatu-Wanganui Region with just one food registration. The agreement allows mobile food businesses to obtain a Certificate of Registration under the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 or an exemption under the Food Act 1981 from their home base Council only, even if they trade in other Council areas within the region. All mobile food shops must meet a set of minimum standards in order to be registered. Each district or city within the region has different bylaws and policies about where mobile shops can trade, so you must talk to an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) from each Council in whose area that you wish to trade in to obtain a permit or consent to operate.

Controls on Signage

There are rules in place regarding signage to avoid problems with neighbors, prevent obstruction and traffic distraction. The Rangitikei District Council administers the District Plan and the Council bylaws that govern the display of advertising signs. Before you put your sign up or even get it made, come and talk to us to avoid any issues and save yourself time and money.