Skip to main content

Rapid Numbering


Completed forms can be emailed to or handed in at any council office, information centre or library.

What is a RAPID Number and how are they allocated?

RAPID (Rural Address Property Identification) numbers can be used for any rural entrance that requires an address (e.g., dwellings, sheds, yards, etc.). RAPID numbers will help ensure that emergency services, visitors, utility operators and contractors can easily locate your property.

If there is more than one dwelling on a driveway, then a letter (e.g., A, B or C) is added. The first house along the driveway will be A, the second B, etc. If you have a shared driveway, you can request an additional plate to put on the house.

How are RAPID Numbers used?

As RAPID numbers are allocated, the information is sent to Land Information New Zealand’s national property database. Emergency services have access to this information so they can quickly and accurately locate rural properties. RAPID is also useful for service providers such as NZ Post, Telecom, couriers and power authorities.

How do I find out if a property has a RAPID Number?

The distinctive green and white number plate will be at the entrance to the property. The plates are manufactured from 24 gauge Galvanised Colour Steel plate, 200mm Wide and 125mm High.

To help Emergency Services and others to immediately identify the area in which they are driving, the colour of the numbers for the Rangitīkei is green.

How do I apply for a RAPID Number?

In order to supply a RAPID number Council needs accurate information to identify the property and its location. Please complete the RAPID number application form online, or a paper copy is available from Council offices and a print at home version here.

How long will it take to receive a RAPID Number?

Numbers will be allocated as soon as possible, if the application has been completed correctly and all relevant information has been supplied to Council. A plate with the allocated number will be made up.

Where are RAPID plates installed?

Your RAPID plate should be attached in a prominent position close to your vehicle entrance, which could be on a letterbox, gatepost or wooden fence. Plates are to be fixed parallel to the road. They have reflective green numbers for ease of visibility, especially at night.

What if I have a problem with my RAPID Number?

It is not possible to change a number on request as it is based on the distance along the road. If you change the location of your entranceway please contact Council.

How do I apply for a replacement RAPID Number plate?

If you have an existing RAPID number and need a replacement plate, please complete the application form.

What happens if I subdivide?

If you are subdividing, new RAPID numbers will be required for any new entrances created. The existing entrance will retain the current RAPID number and this number with a suffix (e.g., A, B, C) will be allocated to any new lots using the entrance. This is because the RAPID number is based on a measured distance along a road.

What happens if I build a new house or form a new entranceway?

Any new entranceway created to a new building on a property will require a new RAPID number.

Can I have a RAPID Number if I have no road access?

RAPID numbers are only allocated to properties with entranceways off a road.

How will having a RAPID affect my address?

The RAPID number should be added to the usual Rural Delivery address (e.g., Joe Bloggs, 883 Nowhere Road, State Highway 1, RD1, Marton 4741).

What happens to RAPID Numbers in towns?

Where a town has no existing numbers, the RAPID numbers are continuous through the township. If urban numbers exist, the RAPID stops at the commencement of same and starts again where urban numbers end, but the distance measurements continue through the town and starts again on the other side.

Who can I contact if I have any questions?

Ring into our Customer Experience team who will direct your call to the right person, phone 0800 422 522.