Skip to main content

Roadside Berm Mowing

Berms are the grassed areas between the footpath and roadside. While this is legally Council-owned land, as part of being a ‘good neighbour’, most Rangitīkei residents mow the berm outside their property. The Council does not automatically mow any grassed berms outside private property. This makes economic sense and helps to keep rate increases to a minimum.

If residents are unable to mow the berm outside their property, they may wish to employ a contractor at their own personal cost. You can find details of suitable contractors in the Yellow Pages or in the classified section of your local paper. Residents who are physically incapable of mowing their lawn and the berm outside their property may be eligible for a WINZ allowance to assist with the cost of a contractor. Please contact WINZ for more information on available allowances. Contact WINZ by calling 0800 559 009.

The Council may cut grass berms down for safety, visibility or if they are reported as a fire hazard. The clippings will not be collected.

Planting on berms

Occasionally Council will allow residents to plant the berm outside their property. This is on condition that the resident takes responsibility for ongoing maintenance and either ensures the next owners take over that responsibility or that the berm is returned to grass when the property is sold.
You must apply for permission in writing or email

Rural verge (berm) mowing

Rural verges are mowed 2-4 times per year. Mowing is done approximately 2 metres from the edge of the seal, where possible. Owners are responsible for the rest.

Rural high mowing

Mowing is done when necessary to stop vegetation encroachments and to maintain sightlines and edge marker post visibility.

As part of Council’s annual footpath inspections, they are checked for overgrowth. Where vegetation is encroaching from private property residents are requested
to trim trees or vegetation to keep the footpaths available for all to enjoy.

In extreme cases Council can serve notice on offending property owners or remove the vegetation and recover costs.