Skip to main content

How do I vote?

Electoral role voting

If you are enrolled as a parliamentary elector you will automatically be enrolled and placed on Council’s electoral roll as a residential elector. You should get your voting forms in your letterbox between 20-25 September 2019

If you need to enrol or update existing name or address details on the parliamentary electoral roll, you can do so at any Post Shop, online at or by phoning 0800 36 76 56.

Ratepayer voting

If you pay rates on property within our Council area but don’t live in the Rangitīkei you may be eligible to enrol as a ratepayer elector. A copy of the ratepayer enrolment form can be downloaded here.

Special voting

Special voting documents are available to those:

  • whose names do not appear on the final electoral roll, but who qualify as voters
  • who did not receive a voting paper previously posted to them
  • who spoil or damage a voting paper previously posted to them.

Special voting documents will be available from Friday 20 September 2019 to 12 noon, Saturday 12 October 2019 at:

  • Rangitikei District Council main office, 46 High St, Marton
  • Taihape Library/Service Centre, 90-92 Hautapu Street, Taihape.

Special voting documents can be posted directly out to voters. The completed voting paper however, must be in the hands of the electoral officer or the deputy electoral officer by noon on election day, i.e. 12 noon, Saturday 12 October 2019.

Special voters must complete a statutory declaration. This is a legal requirement and a protection for voters against possible duplicate voting.

If a voter requests a special vote and is not on the parliamentary roll (e.g. just turned 18 years of age), the person must enrol on the parliamentary roll by Friday 7 October 2022. An application for registration as a parliamentary voter may be obtained:

  • from any Post Shop or
  • by telephoning 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 367656) or
  • by accessing the Electoral Enrolment Centre website on

After voting closes, special vote declarations are forwarded to Registrars of Voters for verification that the voter is eligible and has enrolled as a parliamentary voter.

Special voting documents cannot be collected by candidates or their assistants for distribution to voters.