Building Consents

A Building Consent is a formal approval granted by the Council which confirms the proposed building work shown in the documentation you provide complies with the New Zealand Building Code, the Building Act 2004 and Building Regulations.

In some cases, a Resource Consent or specific requirements of the District Plan may be required to be met. If you are unsure whether the building work you are proposing, requires a Resource Consent or meets District Plan requirements, please contact the Planning Department on (0800) 422522.

There is absolutely tons of helpful information out there on the building consent process and we've linked to as many helpful documents as we could. Please take the time to see what's out there, as it really will make your journey more enjoyable and way less stressful.

Below are some handy links to get you started:

Do I need a building consent?

Common building projects

Where do I start?

Applying for a consent

The Process

Who can help me with the process?

Success! Now what?

Documents galore to help you!

Complaints & Appeal process


You don't need a building consent to put in a pool but you do need a consent for your mandatory pool fence