Skip to main content

Complaints & Appeals process

If you're unhappy with any aspect of our service you can lodge a complaint. You can also appeal any decision we have made to have it reviewed.

You can make a complaint in person, however you must also provide it in writing. Complaints not made in writing or made anonymously will not be actioned.

Complaints should be addressed to: Rangitikei District Council Private Bag 1102 Marton 4741

You'll need to provide us the following information:

  • the date the incident occurred
  • the nature of your complaint (guidance information, vetting, lodgement, inspection, notice to fix, code compliance certificate or compliance schedule)
  • copies of any supporting information (if applicable) and
  • the nature of your relationship with us (customer, regulator, or stakeholder).

We'll respond within three working days of receiving your complaint at which time you may be asked whether you wish to be heard in relation to the compliant or to provide further information.

All complaints will be actioned within 10 working days of receipt of complaint, unless a request for further information is made.


If you are still unhappy or choose to use an alternative route to settle a matter of doubt or dispute, you may apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) for a Determination.

More information Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - Determinations Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - Application for determination (PDF, 435KB)